We’re Sarah and Tash, bringing you the Fast Five on our 28th May Curious agency talk with VCCP’s own Charles Vallance and Adrian Gans.
What’s the Fast Five? It’s the five top-line takeaways about the tech we saw from Thursday’s talk. What’s this week’s fast five?
1. Data-driven creative is not a revolution – it’s an evolution.Rhetoric outpaces us here, and inspires panic where there needn’t be. This is just the next stage of something we in advertising were doing already; developing creative ways to appeal to customers based on our understanding of their needs, interests, and desires.
2. Automation isn’t your enemy.Think of it, instead, as a way to improve the targeting of your creative or else to introduce new opportunities into the mix. For instance, we can automatically serve certain ad creative based on the weather – where’s the threat in that?
3. But remember – a big idea has got to come first. Adrian mentioned the bane of gratuitous R&D and a race to claim firsts throughout the industry. Sure, there are plenty of ways that we can implement new technologies and use new data sources within our creative, but without a big idea at the heart of it things can fall quite flat
4. Think of data-driven creative as a way to close sales that your big idea has opened. The bulk of this talk focused on the ways that VCCP has been able to integrate data into the DNA of O2’s digital ads, from customized VOD that knows your device and location to a Wear The Rose experience that knew how to ask for the right type of support by name. In each of these cases, a big idea was at the core of the idea, and data was being integrated primarily as a way to add the finishing touches that seal the deal.
5. And don’t think that the end of the big idea is coming quite yet. Toward the beginning of the talk, Charles gave the example of the introduction to the VCR predicting the death of film and, in fact, creating the opposite – a cultural shift toward consuming more films more often and a renewed international appetite for great work. In the same way, data is just opening up new opportunities for us to give big ideas wings.
Curious about what else you might’ve missed? You can catch up on the action with our 360 video right here.
And watch out for our next Fast Five following the next Curious Session on 5th May with Spotify.
The post Fast Five: Creativity and Data with Charles and Adrian appeared first on VCCP.