Phone: (+90) 212 311 75 43
Phone: (+90) 2123117494
Vehbi Görgülü is a Ph.D. Candidate in Media and Communication Studies at Galatasaray University and a Research Assistant at Department of Advertising, Istanbul Bilgi University.
Trained at leading national and global companies in the field of communication, he completed his degree in Political Science as the faculty’s highest ranked gradute at State University of New York at Binghamton in 2009. He completed his dual degree in Political Science at Middle East Technical University in Ankara.
In 2010, he started his MA studies at the University of Westminster in London, which he completed at Faculty of Communication at Istanbul Bilgi University in 2012. His MA thesis, supervised by Aslı Tunç, Ph.D., explored public perception on Internet censorship practices in his native country, which revealed public concerns over technology acceptance and adoption under the influence of cultural values as emphasized by Hofstede.
In 2012, his collaborative report leaded by Aslı Tunç, focusing on digital transformation of Turkey’s media, titled “Mapping Digital Media: Turkey” was published by Open Society Foundations. In July 2012, Open Society Foundations organized an Advocacy Summit in İstanbul, where Gorgulu discussed the impact of spectrum, telecom and Internet policies on society with researchers of the global Mapping Digital Media project. Open access on findings of the project was provided for global public via the OSF website.
His first collaborative research article on Internet consumption patterns in Turkey was also published in 2012, by the SSCI indexed journal Information, Communication & Society. In 2014, his collaborative research that explored the expressive political participation patterns from a social influence perspective was published by the same journal.
As an arts and culture fan, Gorgulu contributed to several nationwide magazines, blogs and books on arts, culture & lifestyle including Milliyet Sanat, XOXO The Mag, Bir+Bir and Bir Baba Indie. His translated book titled “Taner Ceylan: The Lost Paintings Series”, was published by the New York: Damiani Press in 2013 to support internationally acclaimed Turkish painter Taner Ceylan’s “The Lost Paintings” exhibition held in Paul Kasmin Gallery, New York. In 2014, he contributed to the thematic book on Michael Haneke movies published in Turkish language, with his exploration of the violence theme in the director’s “The Time of the Wolf” and “White Ribbon” movies.
His current research and professional interests and activities cover communication patterns in online social networks, online tools and advertising strategies and perspectives on digital governance and network society.
PhD in Media and Communication Studies, Galatasaray University (2012-)
MA in Media and Communication Systems, Istanbul Bilgi University (2012)
MA in Audio Production, University of Westminster (2011)
BS in Global and International Affairs, State University of New York (2009)
• Varnali, K. & Gorgulu, V. (2014). “A social influence perspective on expressive political participation in Twitter: The case of #occupygezi”. Information, Communication & Society, Doi: 10.1080/1369118X.2014.923480
• Ceylan, T., Çakırlar, C., Delice, S., Karamustafa, G. & Shaw, Wendy M. K. (2013). Taner Ceylan: The Lost Paintings Series (trans. Vehbi Görgülü & Esra Öztürk). New York: Damiani Press.
• Gorgulu, V. (2013). "Birleşmiş Milletler Güvenlik Konseyi Oylaması: Pakistan Basınında Söylem ve İdeolojinin Yeniden Üretimi". Küresel Habercilik ve Söylem içinde, ed. Prof. Dr. Yasemin İnceoğlu. İstanbul: Derin Yayınları.
• Gorgulu, V. & Süllü, S. (2013). "Küresel Habercilik ve Söylem: Filistin-BM Örneği". Küresel Habercilik ve Söylem içinde, ed. Prof. Dr. Yasemin İnceoğlu. İstanbul: Derin Yayınları.
• Hesapçı-Sanaktekin, Ö., Aslanbay, Y. & Gorgulu, V. (2012). "The Effects of Religiosity on Internet Consumption: A Study on a Muslim Country", Information, Communication & Society (S.S.C.I.), Available: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1369118X.2012.722663
• Tunc, A. & Gorgulu, V. (2012). Mapping Digital Media: Turkey Report. Open Society Foundations. Available, http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/sites/default/files/OSF-Media-Report-Turkey-04-23-2012-final-WEB.pdf
• Dervisoglu Okandan, G. & Gorgulu, V. (2012). Türkiye’de Sosyal Girişimciliğin Tanımı ve Örnekleri. In Inclusive Business Models and Global Social Entrepreneurship (United Nations Development Program) (eds.Gokhan Dikmener and Gresi Sanje). Istanbul Bilgi University Press.
• Hesapçı-Sanaktekin, Ö., Aslanbay Y. & Gorgulu, V. (2012). “Self-Regulation of Advertising in Turkey: The Role of Changing Industry Dynamics”. Journal of Yasar University, Vol. 25, No. 7, 4307-4322.
PhD in Advertising and Promotion, Marmara University (2008)
MA in Integrated Marketing Communications and Advertising, Emerson College (1998)
BA in Public Relations and Advertising, Marmara University (1996)
1-Key areas of study
Marketing Communication and Advertising, Social Entrepreneurship, Corpoarate Social Responsibility
Dahan, G.S. ve Şenol I. 2010. “Usage of Advergames in Food and Beverage Market in Turkey” 2nd International Conference on New Media and Interactivity, April 28-30, Istanbul, Turkey, 307-312
Dahan, G.S. ve Peltekoğlu F.B. 2011. “The Effects of Zara to the SMEs of an Emerging Market”. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 2 (1), 1-10
Dahan, G.S. 2011.Sektörün Penceresinden Reklam Süreci, Beta Yayınları, Mayıs 2011, İstanbul
Dahan, G.S. 2012. “Sanal Dünyada e-Ağızdan Ağıza Pazarlama Üzerine bir İnceleme”, Tolga Kara ve Ebru Özgen (ed.), Sosyal Mecralar, Beta Basım A.Ş., İstanbul, 83-113.
Dahan, G.S. ve Levi, E. 2012. “Netnografya: Sosyal Mecralarda Tüketici Araştirmalari Üzerine Yeni Bir Metot” Gümüşhane Üniversitesi İletişim Fakültesi Elektronik Dergisi, 3 (Mart), 33-54.
Dahan, G.S. ve Şenol I. 2012. “Corporate Social Responsibility in Higher Education Institutions: Istanbul Bilgi University Case” American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 2(3), 95-103. /
Dahan, G.S. ve Şenol I. 2012. “From Opinion Leaders to Networking Agents”, İstanbul Kültür Üniversitesi, Visualist 2012 International Congress on Visual Congress: New Approaches in Communication, Arts, and Design: Digitalization, Conference Proceeding, 7-9 March, İstanbul, 583-590.
Dikmener, G. ve Sanje, G. 2012.(der.). Büyüyen Kapsayıcı Piyasalar: Türkiye’de Sosyal Girişimcilik Vakaları. İstanbul Bilgi Yayınları, İstanbul.
Sanje, G.. ve Dinç, Y.E. 2012. “Çöp(m)adam: Ev hanımlarına çöpten istihdam yaratmak”, Dikmener, G. ve Sanje, G. (ed.). Büyüyen Kapsayıcı Piyasalar: Türkiye’de Sosyal Girişimcilik Vakaları, İstanbul Bilgi Yayınları, İstanbul, 37-60.
Sanje, G. ve Şenol I. 2012. “The Importance of Online Behavioral Advertising for Online Retailers” International Journal of Business and Social Science, 3 (18),
Dahan, G.S. 2009 . “Çizgi-altı İletişim Faaliyetlerinin Niş Pazarlardaki Önemi ve Bir Alan Çalışması”, Selçuk İletişim, 5(4), 36-49.
Dahan,G.S. Filiz Balta Peltekoğlu’nun “Kavram ve Kuramlarıyla Reklam” kitabında çeviri “Örnek Vaka: Absolut Vodka Kampanyası” Beta Yayınları, Mayıs 2010, 283 – 287.
Dahan, G.S. ve Peltekoğlu F.B. 2010.“An Investigation on the Effects of a Global Brand to the SMEs of a Local Market: Zara Case” JAMS 2010 Global Marketing Conference Proceeding, Sept 9-12, Tokyo, Japan, 611-619.
Sanje, G. 2012. “Toplumsal Sorunların Çözümünde Yeni Bir Yaklaşım: “Sosyal Girişimcilik” Girişimcilik İklimi, 1 (1)
Dahan, G.S. ve Levi, E. (2012) “Gerilla Saldrılar” Filiz Otay Demir (ed.), Markaloji, Mavna Serisi, Giza Yayıncılık, İstanbul, 297-322
PhD in Marketing, Bogaziçi University (2010)
MBA, Bogaziçi University (2005)
BA in International Trade, Bogaziçi University (2003)
1-Key areas of study
Araştırma yöntemleri, marka, tüketici davranışı
• Telci, E. E. (2013), “High Shopping Mall Patronage: Is There a Dark Side?,” Quality & Quantity, 47(5), 2517-2528. (SSCI)
• Yılmaz, C., Telci, E. Eser, Bodur, M., and Eker, T. (2011), “Source Characteristics and Advertising Effectiveness: The Role of Processing Involvement and Knowledge,” International Journal of Advertising, 30(5), 889-914. (SSCI)
• Telci, E. E. (2010), “Consumer Decision-Making Styles and Multi-Channel Retailing: The Missing Links,” The Business Review, 14(2), 113-119.
• Kantur, D. and Telci, E. E. (2013), “Conceptualizing University Reputation: An Analysis of Multiple Stakeholder Perceptions,” British Academy of Management Conference, September 10-12, Liverpool, UK.
• Maden, C., Arıkan, E., Telci, E. E., and Kantur, D. (2012), “Linking Corporate Social Responsibility to Corporate Reputation: A Study on Understanding Behavioral Consequences,” Proceedings of the 8th International Strategic Management Conference, June 21-23, Barcelona, Spain.
PhD in Marketing, Bogaziçi University (2006-2011)
PhD in Marketing, City University of New York, The Graduate Center (2006)
MBA in Marketing, City University of New York, Baruch College (2003-2005)
BS in Film, TV and Radio Production, Istanbul University (1993-2000)
1-Key areas of study:
Music and consumer behavior & sensory branding & creativity
Ursavaş, B. and Hesapçı-Sanaktekin, Ö. (forthcoming) “Effects of dramatic contrast on memory and temporal perceptions: What happens when you’re lost between happiness and sadness?”, Journal of Business Research.
PhD in Marketing, Boğaziçi University (2010)
MBA, Boğaziçi University (2006)
BS in Computer Engineering, Koç University (2004)
•Varnali, K. & Gorgulu, V. (2014). “A social influence perspective on expressive political participation in Twitter: The case of #occupygezi”. Information, Communication & Society, Doi: 10.1080/1369118X.2014.923480
•Varnali, K., Yilmaz, C. & Toker, A. (2012). Predictors of attitudinal and behavioral outcomes in mobile advertising: a field experiment. Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 11, 570-581.
•Varnali, K. (2012). SMS advertising: How message relevance is linked to the attitude toward the brand? Journal of Marketing Communications, 1-13.
•Varnali, K. (2011). Personality traits and mobile consumer behavior: a critical review and research agenda. International Journal of E-Services and Mobile Applications, 3(4), 1-20.
•Aygoren, O. & Varnali, K. (2011). A Value-based Analysis of Mobile Tagging. International Journal of E-Business Research, 7 (1), 93-104.
•Varnali, K. (2010). The Impact of the Internet on Marketing Strategy: Revisiting Early Predictions. International Journal of E-Business Research, 6(4), 38-51.
•Varnali, K. & Toker, A. (2010). Mobile Marketing Research: The-state-of-the-art. International Journal of Information Management, 30, 144-151.
•Varnali, K., Toker, A. & Yilmaz, C. (2009). A Consumer Centric Model for Mobile Marketing. Proceedings of the 12thInternational Conference of ASBBS, 100-115.
•Toker, A. & Varnali, K. (2009). A Framework for E-Potential Assessment in Online Markets. Journal of Internet Business, 6, 81-110.
•Toker, A., Varnali, K. & Yilmaz C. (2011). Mobile Marketing at Turkcell: Turkey’s Leading Mobile Operator. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, 1(1), 1-12.
•Varnali, K. (2013). Dijital Kabilelerin Izinde: Sosyal Medyada Netnografik Araştırmalar. Istanbul: MediaCat Yayinevi
•Varnali, K. (2012). Dijital Tutulma: Pazarlama Iletisimi ve Insan. Istanbul: MediaCat Yayinevi.
•Varnali, K., Toker, A. & Yilmaz, C. (2010). Mobile Marketing: Fundamentals & Strategy. New York: McGraw-Hill.
•Varnali, K. (2012). Mobile Social Networks: Communication & Marketing Perspectives. In I. Lee (ed.), Strategy,Adoption and Competitive Advantage of Mobile Services in the Global Economy. Hersey: IGI Global.
•Varnali, K. (2012). Cyber Behavior in Marketing. In Z. Yan (ed.), Encyclopedia of CyberBehavior. Hershey: IGI Global.
•Varnali, K. (2011). Upgrading to Customer-Interaction 2.0 with Mobile. In Clary, T. (ed.), Horizons in Computer Science Research. NY: Nova Science Publishers.
•Varnali, K. & Yilmaz, C. (2010). Exploring the Mobile Consumer. In I. Lee (Ed), Encyclopedia of E-Business Development and Management in the Global Economy (768-778). Hershey: IGI-Global.