- Give us an overview of the campaign, what is it about and what was your role in the creation?
The Erste Bank #believeinyourself campaign has been running for almost two years now and it’s been a great playing field of creativity thus far.
It’s about living up to your potential and fighting against the odds that life may present you. With a steady partner on your side. This is where the bank comes in.
- Was the brief for this holiday campaign any different that than the usual? What challenges did that present?
The biggest challenge was probably the timing. We got briefed at the beginning of August, which is very late if you consider that the animation took 3 months to complete from start to finish. Plus it was one of the hottest summers in Austria, which doesn’t necessarily help you think about snow and mistletoes.
- What inspired you to approach the campaign this way?
I think part of the reason we fell in love with the script immediately was that it didn’t follow a certain approach. It’s a love story, but also a Christmas story and at the same time an underdog story a lot of people can relate to. But I guess in some subliminal context it’s also talking about today’s political climate all over the world where politicians try to divide us. I think it’s actually a great message, especially at Christmas, to talk about how we have to try to stick together in order to make things work.
- What’s a “behind the scenes” story that only you know about?
Our ECD, Andreas Putz, actually wrote the lyrics to the song.
- Are there any holiday ad tropes that you think should be retired by now?
I can’t think of any right now, but I’d be more than happy if we could retire Last Christmas on the radio for a year or two.
- What is your favorite holiday campaign of all time?
The long wait by John Lewis. Hands down.
- What can we expect from your agency in 2019?
- What do you think the advertising industry's New Year’s resolution should be?