As Medtronic continues to evolve into healthcare solutions company, it is imperative that we link advances in technology to highest level needs of our customers, both patients and healthcare providers.
Traditional feature-based innovation alone is not enough in the new economy to differentiate our products, self-disrupt, and create new opportunities for Medtronic to continue as the world leader in biomedical engineering.
Leveraging Human Centered Design’s innovation methods of empathy building and needs definition along with creative ideation and prototyping practices, and coupling that with our robust technology innovation practices will deliver the economic value for business success.
CAREERS THAT CHANGE LIVES
The role of the Human Centered Design Strategist will support human-centered product and service design thinking and innovation, bridging new technologies with customer needs in pre-project activities through transition to development. The role will collaborate with the various functions on high impact initiatives to create innovative health care solutions that address the core needs of all of our customers and users.
You will drive design sprints through a human-centered design process, guiding sprint teams to frame design challenges, collaborate on ideas, develop prototypes and test with stakeholders.
The output of your work will provides a fluid transfer into development by building clarity of the higher level purpose and vision of the potential value in commercialization.
a. Learn more about the Healthcare Innovation Team and the Applied Innovation Lab at: Medtronic.com/HealthcareInnovation
A DAY IN THE LIFE
• Scope HCD activities and deliverables and lead design sprints with BU upstream marketing and technology leads
• Explore conceptual use scenarios through contextual inquiry and user research, and test concepts with end users
• Develop interim deliverables to define the opportunity for value capture and articulate the possibilities of new technology to capture that value.
• Generate sprint outputs to present recommendations to management and provide a traceable lineage to the solution definition
• Coordinate with R&D leaders to continually lead the implementation of HCD innovation methods at the organizational level, best practices and the development and dissemination of HCD tools.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned:
• Responsible for the initiation, design, development, execution, and implementation of scientific research projects.
• Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.
• Plans and executes laboratory research.
• Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the art principles and theories and may contribute to scientific literature and conferences.
• May participate in development of patent applications.
• May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts.
MUST HAVE (Minimum Qualifications)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Design or related field
• 4+ of design experience with a focus on front end concept exploration and user facing testing, preferably in the healthcare or medical device industry
• Experience in design software packages (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Adobe Creative Cloud, or etc) for Illustration & digital sketching
• Experience in various methods of prototyping (3D modeling/printing, interactive user interface mockups, UI, story-boarding techniques and/or other rapid prototyping methods)
NICE TO HAVE
• Experienced in visually communicating and verbally presenting insights, ideas and concepts
• Desire to make a big impact on how people experience health care through elegantly designed interactions
• Critical thinking and creative problem solving
• Data visualization and storytelling (personas, journey mapping)
• Strong creative problem solving and pattern recognition skills
• Compelling communicator and collaborator that uses visual story-telling to articulate opportunity
• Demonstrates resourcefulness and creativity in problem solving with unconventional yet feasible ways to push design with constrained resources
• Is self-motivated and proactive, always thinking ahead for the team
• Is dissatisfied with mediocrity and wants to be one-of-the-best in their field
• Enjoys the benefit of working with a diverse and highly-skilled team