Gun safety organization Evolve launched today a month-long initiative to establish National Gun Safety Day as an officially recognized day. They're kicking things off with "Man in America" - a comedy-driven PSA starring actor Josh Lucas. Directed by Simon Cole of B-Reel Films, and in conjunction with full-service marketing agency Erwin Penland, the PSA highlights how senseless lack of safety precautions plague some gun-owners today.
Consistent with Cole's creative knack for capturing serious subject matter in a light-hearted, photogenic and beautiful way, "Man in America" follows Lucas through a small town dripping with American pride. He declares "America is great because it's full of freedom, but it's also full of gun accidents."
As he meanders down the streets of the town dodging free-flying bullets, he brings attention to the "It'll never happen to me" mentality while explaining the importance of gun safety in a non-accusatory way. He concludes by explaining "Clear It. Check It. Lock It” - Evolve's overall campaign title and rally cry that encourages people to become stronger proponents of gun safety.
Additional details include:
- In addition to the spot, Erwin Penland has also re-launched the Evolve website, created digital download kits and a print ad (running in this month’s Fast Company), posters and is supporting the campaign with PR/influencer outreach and social media activity
- Evolve is also launching a month-long initiative to establish National Gun Safety Day as an officially recognized day on June 16.
- The 2015 campaign will kick off the 30-day period where Evolve will hope to garner 100,000 signatures on a www.WhiteHouse.gov petition to make National Gun Safety Day official.
- Evolve is also introducing the mobile “Safety Squad” on National Gun Safety Day. The team will be reachable in-stores and digitally to garner signatures for the Gun Safety Petition and hand out Evolve swag.
- Evolve is a gun safety organization founded by marketing industry veterans Jon and Rebecca Bond. The “apolitical” organization encourages gun owners, gun manufacturers, and gun opponents to come together to promote firearm safety in the wake of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
- In 2014, Evolve also launched two video spots, “Dumbass” and “Playthings,” which both also take a similar humorous yet striking look at how common-sense gun safety should be.